You sometimes get the idea that some white South Africans think the country would be better if we still had Apartheid. Well not to get into any of the usual race crap, here are a few things that would be different if Apartheid never ended.
1) We would not be allowed to use the internet perhaps for anything but a few verkrampte government sanctioned sites, if at all.
2) We would not be allowed to have new technology mobile phones. Or perhaps for security reasons even any mobile phones.
3) No DSTV , or perhaps even MNET.
4) Which wouldn't make much of a difference because we wouldn't be allowed to watch anything rated more than "A" or with slight political undertones and there'd be no international sport for us anyway.
5) No travel abroad.
6) And for all the above reason swe'd fall extremely behind in our competitiveness as a nation.
7 ) Little to no foriegn investment, or tourists adding to the collapse of our economy.
8) We'd have to go to the fucking army and defend ourselves against countries like Namibia, Zambia, Botswana and Angola that are actually getting their shit together.
I could honestly go on forever, but you don't need to really go any further to get the picture.
The end result of not ending apartheid when you basically think of it is this :
So next time you're feeling a little nostalgic for apartheid and bitching about the country on the internet. Stop to think about the irony for a second.
If you're living abroad and life is so wonderful. Why feel nostalgia for Apartheid ? And what's more, why hate the black people whose government made it possible for you to leave the country ? Could it be you're far more miserable than you might admit ?